✅ Guided snorkeling tour in Silfra Fissure – Silfra Hall, Silfra Cathedral, Big Crack and Silfra Lagoon
✅ Enjoy snorkeling between the American and European continental plates
✅ Beautiful surrounding area of the Thingvellir UNESCO world heritage site
✅ Free photos from the snorkeling experience
✅ Small-groups & personal experience
✅ Visit Geysir geothermal area
✅ Witness the powerful Gullfoss waterfall
✅ Wi-Fi and Icelandic music on board
✅ And more…
Departure: 08:00 am
Duration: 10 hours
Minimum age: 12 years
Group size: 6 persons per guide.
- Warm clothes (first layer)
- Waterproof clothing (second layer)
- Hiking boots (also available for rent when booking)
- Thick socks
- Contact lenses if you wear glasses
- Long underwear
- Change of clothes (just in case) & a towel.
✅ Wi-Fi and Icelandic music on board
✅ English speaking guide
✅ Small group (max 6 people per guide during the snorkeling portion)
✅ Certified snorkeling guide
✅ Free GoPro underwater photos
✅ All necessary snorkeling equipment
✅ Warm undersuit and drysuit
✅ Hot drinks and cookies after the tour!
To be able to do the snorkeling portion of this tour, you have to be able to comply with the following requirements:
- Have read, signed, and followed directions on the Snorkeling Silfra Medical Statement Form – click here. You can sign the form at the meeting location.
- Be comfortable in the water and be able to swim.
- Communicate in English or have an interpreter with you at the time of the tour.
- Be physically fit.
- Not be pregnant.
- You must be ready to wear a tight and constricting dry suit to protect your body from the cold.
- You must be a minimum of 150 cm and a maximum of 200 cm in height and weigh between 45 and 120 kilos along with being physically fit.
- You must be a maximum of 65 years of age to participate in this tour. If you are 60 years of age or older, you need a medical waiver, available on page 2 of the medical form.
- You must be a minimum of 12 years of age to participate in this tour. Participants under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent or adult guardian booked on the same tour.
- If you are over 45 and partake/have partaken in pipe smoking or heavy alcohol intake, you need a medical waiver.
- Please note that should you have any neurological, circulatory or respiratory problems or underlying diseases, battled any illnesses or have any physical problems you might have to turn in a physicians allowance to participate in this tour.
- We have to adjust timings to the short daylight and we always try to avoid big crowds.
- Pick up is from designated locations in Reykjavík. Pick up from Keflavík airport or outside of the greater capital area is not available.
- You will see the designated pick up locations in Reykjavík on a drop-down menu at the time of booking.
- You can bring some favorite snacks and beverages if you like.
- We recommend you bring hiking boots with slip-resistant soles if you are visiting in the winter. Hiking boots are available at the time of booking.
Join us for an unforgettable expedition with a small group to explore the famous Golden Circle. We visit the famous Þingvellir National Park, Gullfoss waterfall, Geysir, and the surrounding geothermal area. Our best-seller tour on a minibus includes snorkeling between continents at Silfra fissure in the world’s clearest waters.
Þingvellir National Park
We visit the place where the two tectonic plates, the North American and the Eurasian plate, are moving away from each other. Few places in the world offer a better and clearer view of this massive geographic activity. The biggest natural lake in Iceland is also located at Þingvellir National Park and hosts a great variety of fish and bird life. Þingvellir is also an important place for Icelandic national history. At Þingvellir Icelanders founded their parliament in 930 a.d. where the chieftains had their annual meeting every summer. The name “Thingvellir” translates to “Parliament Plains”.
The Silfra Fissure is located in Thingvellir National Park, a UNESCO World Heritage site. Once our minibus arrives there, you will take a short journey through the volcanic, moss-laden fields of the park. Here, you will listen as your friendly and experienced PADI Divemaster guide provides a safety briefing.
Later, you will receive all of the necessary equipment for snorkeling in Silfra, including neoprene hoods and gloves, a thermal undersuit, a drysuit and, of course, a mask, snorkel and fins. This equipment will keep you buoyant throughout your time in the fissure, as well as offering a protection against the glacial water.
Once in the water, your eyes will meet the incredible shades of blue so prevalent in the fissure, as well as the natural under-water flora canyon walls. As you are swimming you will have the opportunity to move across continents, as you will be switching back and forth from both the North American and Eurasian tectonic plates, which is one of Thingvellir’s most famous characteristics.
Swimming further, you will meet Silfra Hall, which is the widest section on the fissure and the majestic Silfra Cathedral, it’s the deepest section. Even more, the stunning shallow oasis will be presented before your eyes at the end, “Real Blue Lagoon”.
The melting water from Iceland´s second biggest glacier, Langjökull, falls into a deep canyon forming the majestic “Golden Falls”. On a sunny day, you can see the glacier Langjökull in the distance and enjoy a rainbow in the mist of the waterfall, an Instagram blockbuster waiting to happen!
The Geysir geothermal area hosts hundreds of colorful hot springs and two geysers, erupting hot springs. One is called “Geysir” and name giving for all the geysers in the world. Today, however, it erupts very seldom. The other geyser is called “Strokkur” and erupts every 5 minutes up to 40 meters.